Welcome

I’ve wanted to write a blog for some time now.  In fact, I have written many blog posts in the past, which may have been read by a sum total of about four people.  I wouldn’t say I ever hit my blogging peak.

In previous attempts at blog stardom (is that a thing?), I’d always tried to create themes for my blogs: angst-filled teenager too wise for her own good; failing college student with big dreams; and beauty blogger fresh out of esthetician school – just to name a few.  This time around, I’m nixing the notion that my blog needs to have a theme to be worthy of readership. 

The world doesn’t fit perfectly into one category, and neither do I.  I have real ideas, questions, and concerns about many, many things: for example, eyelash extensions.  (Are they worth it?  Do they hurt?  And honestly, is anyone even looking at my eyelashes anyway?)  It may seem shallow, but just because a topic isn’t rocket science doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be discussed.

While I enjoy discussing somewhat superficial things like cosmetics and style, there are much heavier things that often weigh on my heart and mind.  One such example is systemic racial oppression.  Even though I’m just a “basic white girl,” I have many (in my humble opinion) valid things to say on the issue of race in the current time and culture.    

There are so many things I want to talk about with you guys on here.  I just want to give you a glimpse of the range of import and relevance of issues that I plan on addressing.

The truth is that in the past, I believed in my heart of hearts that I was limited to only talking about one specific set of topics.  I believed that I could be smart, offering real truth and wisdom to the world; pretty, giving advice on cosmetics and skincare; or that I could be funny, writing about superficial – albeit entertaining – ideas. 

In the past five or so years, I’ve learned that I am not limited to any one label or style of writing, and that I am capable of encompassing thoughts and opinions that are wise, practical, and entertaining at the same time.  I had an epiphany at some point that a woman can be interested in and well-versed in makeup, science, and social justice all at once.

So, yeah, we’re going to talk about eyelash extensions.  And we’re going to hit it hard, because it’s important to talk about what you put time, money, and energy into in order to make yourself feel better.  But we’re also going to talk about #whathappenedtoSandraBland.  We’ll talk about the different advantages and disadvantages of raising the minimum wage.  We’ll discuss many different but equally important observations that I have on a daily basis regarding issues such as world hunger, cultural re-appropriation, and the desperate need for better education in this country.

I will do my best to present well-educated statements and ideas about all of the aforementioned topics and more. I believe 100% in healthy discourse, so I invite my readers (all five of you!) to step in when you disagree or have questions.  I truly believe that we can only learn and grow when we are willing to admit that we don’t have it all figured out.  And I for one definitely do not have it all figured out. 

I do have some good ideas, though, and I am looking forward to word-vomiting them all over you!  I want to thank you in advance for putting up with me.  I hope you enjoy this adventure as much as I know I will!

Xoxo,

Christine   

Comments